27. I was in-love with Madonna as a little kid. I used to run around the house singing "Like a Virgin" with absolutely no idea what I was talking about. I owned three "Madonna" skirts (fav was mustard yellow), ya know the kind that was a long tube and rolled over at the top so your belly showed. There is a photo that exists out there somewhere of me dressed as Madonna. Gobs of bangles, trashy make-up, my Madonna skirt,l posing in our garage window for our record cover. It had just started to drizzle, it was pretty rockin'. Heather if you still have it, I would love to see it! Post it on Facebook, I have no pride.
28. I know how to weld, drive a backhoe and want to learn how to drive a scissorlift.
29. I learned to drive with hand controls and kind of miss them because I could drive with my legs crossed, which I was told was kind of sassy!
30. I regret selling my first car. It was a crap, grey, 1982 dodge van with no real backseat. I would pack loads of people in there and drive to Ashkenaz's in Berkeley to go dancing, pick up hitchhikers, and went on more trips to the ocean in that van. Of course I ran out of gas more times in that stupid van too...I still haven't lived that down in my family.
31. I once slept in the Soda Hole parking lot in my van.
32. I dropped acid at my sister's Christmas party at 15 and got caught by my mother. I know. But I am glad it happened, I learned my limits.
33. I could tell you the name of every boy I've crushed on since kindergarten including a self deprecating story to go with each.
34. My favorite sound in the world right now is the squeal my niece Amelia makes when she greets me. Then I do it back. Then we hug. I hope she never grows out of that.
35. I was obsessed with marine mammals as a kid. I went to the Steinhart Aquarium at 5 and saw the dolphins. It was like a spiritual experience for me. From then on I was obsessed and planned on being a marine biologist when I grew up. I can still identify nearly all whale species and most dolphin by sight. If a friend was mad at me she would tease me and say she was going whaling and I would cry.
36. I am proud to say that the first tape I ever bought was Joshua Tree by...do I really need to tell you? I bought it at the Rainbow Records in Napa, remember that place? However...if I'm being really honest here, the first record I ever bought was the Cabbage Patch Kids Sing-Along Album. I bought it at Mervyn's. There was a significant gap of time between purchases.
37. My first cigarette was with Sarra Brooks (Loew) in her parent's backyard.
38. I will say virtually anything self deprecating for a laugh. (see #33)
39. I do not recommend dating an Englishman. I do not recommend dating any buskers. I do not recommend dating any English buskers. (see #38)
40. I have a phobia of certain paper noises. I hate the sound of cardboard edges rubbing against each other. I hate the sound of cardboard being cut. I do not like to touch newspaper. (This is what ended my budding career in journalism, until the advent of the internet-but sadly then I was too old.) I do not like the sound of fingernails touching paper. I consider it grounds for ending a friendship if a person does any of these things on purpose to mock me. Consider this your warning.
41. I have reoccurring nightmares about orca whales (killer whales). The dream always involves being in a body of water and they are swimming below me and I'm scared. (weird considering #35)
42. The song Hotel California will always have a special place in my heart, no matter what you say.
43. I am a groupie. *sigh*
Once, There Were Two Sisters
7 months ago